Good afternoon and welcome to The British Deer Society

Contacts for notifiable disease in deer

Notifiable disease in deer

If you suspect a notifiable disease you must tell the Animal and Plant Health Agency immediately – failure to do this is an offence. 

Notifiable diseases are animal diseases that you’re legally obliged to report to the Animal and Plant Health Agency (APHA), even if you only suspect that an animal may be affected.

Notifiable diseases can be:

  • endemic – already present in the UK, such as bovine TB
  • exotic – not normally present in the UK, such as foot and mouth disease or Anthrax

Some endemic and exotic diseases are zoonotic which means they can pass between animals and humans, such as rabies. 

APHA has one helpline number which covers the whole of England which is 03000 200 301 

The general email address for England is: 

In Scotland or Wales you should contact your local APHA Field Services Office. 

Scotland - pdf View the list of Field Service Offices in Scotland (37 KB)

Wales -

We advise deer managers to identify and store the relevant numbers in their telephones in case they should be required.  APHA vets will investigate – they usually visit your premises and carry out an enquiry or may ask you to collect and submit tissue samples.

Further details on the work of the APHA, including information on the identification of some diseases, can be found via the link below:

We also recommend having a copy of the handy Field Guide to Diseases and Conditions of Wild Deer in the UK which is available from the British Deer Society.

Click to buy

The latest revision of the Food Standards Agency and Food Standards Scotland Wild Game Guide can be found using the link below.